Thursday, March 3, 2011

Walking Meditation

Going for a walk is a good way to stop all of the distractions that get in the way of my awareness of the moment and still my mind so I can hear my own heart and sometimes God's voice. I have found it helpful to begin by focusing on my breathing and clear my mind of all the hustle going on. Another exercise I engage in is trying to listen to all of my five senses. What do I hear, smell, feel, and so on. I try to hear every sound around me. Feel every sensation in my body. Observe all of the detail around me. When I started this sort of meditation, I was only able to focus for a short period at a time before outside thoughts came rushing in. I've since discovered that meditation is like jogging or swimming. It takes practice and endurance to improve. Without any added effort I've found it easier to focus longer. A whole new world opens up, whether I'm in a park or a crowded mall. Sometimes I feel a feeling in my heart, quiet warmth, sometimes followed by a thought. I may sense profound joy, or sometimes calm. Usually I learn something that God is trying to reveal to me.  I do not think I get "advice" every day. Most times I walk and meditate, I am able to continue with my life with more awareness and appreciation.

1 comment:

  1. I believe God desires a love relationship. As with any relationship, it takes time. To develop the kind of deep-rooted intimacy that we and I believe God desires, one where we can easily recognize the Voice (or will) of God,we must remember to be patient and practice His presence everyday. Sometimes its best to just "be still and know that [he] is God."

    Start with general revelation, and slowly move to more specific revelation(s) of God' nature, character, will, and person.

    ReplyDelete