Thursday, March 3, 2011

“Lord, are you going to wash my feet?” John 14:6

I found myself home today washing dishes when the memory of John 14 and Jesus washing the feet of the disciples came to mind. I remember learning that in the Jewish culture that this act would have been reserved for either the individual them self or a servant. In modern days this act of Jesus' was like having your boss or pastor, someone who you respect dearly come into your home and ask," Where are the cleaning supplies? I'd like to wash your bathroom for you before we eat."  Most of us in this situation would say to our guest,"You don't need to do that." Or,"No way!" This is exactly what Peter said and Jesus rebuked him.
I see two things here. First, Jesus was a servant. He served His people and wishes us to humble ourselves to serve. We also have to have the humility to be served. In a small way I have felt this when my mom cleans up my home when our family leaves town. It is a little embarrassing. But it is an act of love.
In meditation while doing dishes, I find that the menial act of washing the family dishes is not menial at all but love in action. What could be more important than cleaning the tools that exist to feed my family and I. Today I don't rush through the dish washing, I take my time to do a good job with my mind on Jesus, and the importance of seemingly mundane (but actually prayerful) work.

No comments:

Post a Comment