Thursday, September 6, 2012

Smile

September 6, 2012

"Happiness causes the smile.
Sometimes the smile causes the happiness."

                               Thich Nhat Hanh

I've really enjoyed stretching my smile lately. I first found it early in the morning when I wasn't in the mood. It was so difficult to curl my mouth that I actually started laughing at the whole ordeal and the amount of effort it took. But I have to admit, I felt better. Almost immeadiately. Its easy to smile when I feel good. and I've began to smile when I'm not prone to, like when I'm alone, or tired, or feeling crummy. I have to admit that this has been one of the quickest rewards of any of the practices of Buddhism. You can't smile your way out of hardship but smiling when things are just normal or boring can be really great. And the smile sometimes brings the happiness!

No comments:

Post a Comment